Nigeria now offers electronic passports for new passport applications. These electronic passports are not virtual/soft copies. They are touchable and they can be misplaced. They are known as the e-passport, and are classified as either Standard or Official e-passport, depending on intended use.
Obtaining the Nigerian International Passport can either be done online or offline.
Nigerian Offline International Passport
This is the most followed route. The simple reason is because of the convenience attached to obtaining your passport through an agent. Offline is very expensive, compared to the online process but the fact that there are some technicalities you wouldn’t want to get wrong, and you would still have to take your printed documents to the immigration office, is why people would rather go through the “Pay-and-Deliver” route.
Nigerian Online International Passport
To obtain your international passport online, there are few guidelines to follow, and there are few documents that would be required. The documents include:
- Passport Application form (completed online and printed).
- Payment Slip.
- Local Government State of Origin.
- Birth Certificate.
- Change of name affidavit (if you’ve changed your name before).
- Photocopy of Applicant’s data page.
- Two current passport-size photographs.
- Driver’s License.
- Processing fee of N15,000.
To pay online, follow these first procedures, after which every other thing is just click and submit.
- Visit the Home page of Nigeria Immigration Portal.
- Locate & click on the e-passpoert tab to in the appropriate application form to start the process:
- Select your preferred passport type.
- Select your Processing Country.
- Fill in the form with your current and correct details.
- Insert the scanned copies of your required documents
- Select your payment method and proceed to online payment.
There is the 32pages International Passport, and there is the 64pages; although you almost can’t lay hands on the 64 pages passport without first presenting your filled up or expired 32pages passport. This is in a bid to make sure that they (immigration officers) remain in business, as the official cost for making a 64pages international passport is what is collected for the 32 pages when you visit the immigration office.
For Renewal, you would be required to present the following documents in person at the immigration office. If misplaced, you might be referred to the immigration head office in Abuja to get it done and it might cost around a week or two.
Documents needed to Obtain Nigerian International Passport include:
- Police Report (if misplaced).
- Renewal Fee N20,000.
- Two (2) passport-size photographs preferably with white background.
- Applicant should provide Passport Number of lost Passport (if applicable).
- Applicant will be required to appear in person for biometric and image acquisition.
It is advisable to apply afresh for a new International Passport rather than go through the stress for the renewal.
Official website of the Nigerian Immigration Service: https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/
Support e-mail: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Help desk line: +234 (1) 2714449, 4541452.
If you have any question on How to Obtain Nigerian International Passport: Application, Cost & Renewal please use the comments box below.